What is a Dental Implant Abutment?
In the process of tooth implantation, the dental abutment is responsible for the connection and it is usually attached to the dental implant on the jawbone and dental prosthesis.
In this article, we will explain dental abutment and tell what its uses are.
Definition of dental abutment
A dental implant consists of 3 main parts, which include the following:
- The dental implant base that is placed inside a hole in the jawbone
- The abutment is screwed on the base of the implant fixture after the bone tissue has recovered and holds the crown
- An artificial tooth has been placed on the abutment. After this procedure, crown, which may be a veneer, bridge, or artificial tooth, and performs the task of chewing
Types of dental abutments and their uses
A tooth abutment is an intermediary between the base and the crown of the tooth, which has an important task for the proper functioning of an implanted tooth.
On the other hand, dental abutment has different categories.
The dental abutment can be divided into three categories according to the method of connection, manufacturing method and fabrication material. The dental abutment can be divided into the method of connection which includes the following:
- Screw-in abutment: There are holes in the middle of the prostheses that are placed on the abutment. Through these holes, the abutment is attached to the veneer with screws.
- Cemented abutment: This handle is fixed by connecting to the main trunk; Because in this case the abutment surface is flat.
- Overdenture connections: This type is used for dentures or parts secured with implants. These types of connections are like push buttons that move or detach with a simple push.
The dental abutment can also have different categories in terms of manufacturing method:
- Custom Abutment: Custom implant abutment, as its name suggests, is made entirely specifically for the patient in the laboratory. To make a custom abutment, the dentist makes an implant or fixture mould with the help of impression coping. It should be noted that the impression coping is the part that is connected to the dental implant, and the moulding operation is performed on it. The main application of impression coping is to determine the location of dental veneers. The restorative dentist moulds the position of the implant and the shape of the gingiva, and based on that, the laboratory produces a custom abutment that will be supported by the gingiva tissue like a natural tooth.
- Angled Platform abutments: Angled abutments are for restoration of implants at 15 or 20-degree angles. the abutment is not always placed parallel to the dental implant base. Therefore, an angled abutment is used when the implant is angled relative to the prosthesis it is to be placed on. The main goal of designing an angled abutment and using an angled abutment is that at the end of the work, all teeth and abutments are parallel to each other. In the following, we mention the positive points of using an angled abutment.
- Prefabricated abutment: Prefabricated abutments are professionally produced by manufacturers. Unlike custom abutments and impression copings, prefabricated implant abutments are manufactured by high-tech manufacturers and are directly connected by the fixture roll mould. Prefabricated abutments are cheaper than custom abutments, They are easy to use, And less time is spent on making them.
Types of the dental abutment in terms of material:
- Titanium abutments: Titanium is widely used due to the unique properties of its alloys. They have very high strength and bio-compatibility and can be used in any type of prosthetic reconstruction.
- Zirconium and ceramic abutments: These new abutments are used in dentistry to complete the aesthetics of dental implants. Zirconium implant abutments are very suitable options. By using these abutments, the metal color of the metal abutments becomes difficult under the implant veneer.
In the end, it should be said that the price of abutment can vary according to its type. The price of customized abutments is high and they are used when implementing prosthetic corrections with standard implants is not possible. But as we said, the price of the abutment in the prefabricated implant is lower than the custom abutment. Of course, the price of the abutment is usually considered a part of the whole price of the implant process.
To know the exact price of the abutment, you must be examined by a specialist. Because dental abutment comes in various forms and depending on the treatment, the dentist will determine which one is better for the patient and will last longer.
Leave a comment